MENU

Source of Research

1.

Resources obtained from the Arkib Negara (National Archives) Kuala Lumpur that can be used to support evidence of early settlement in Kampar are as follows:-

 

1.1

Based on minutes on file ref. KL0523/1900 dated 20.7.1900 titled 'Sultan’s Mining Land at Kampar, payment of arrears of rent on' from Collector Of The Land Revenue (CLR) states that in the year 1891 there is a five year arrears of tax assessment due on a 160 acre land and to date (1900) after 14 years, the said tax amounting to RM2,240.00 is still due.

   
 

1.2

Based On Perak Mineral 1059/48, Book No. 64, Mines Record Book of Mining Leases, the lease on the mine was first issued on 17.1.1888. The lease ref. no, is ML 4290 with an area of 23A.3R.24P issued to Eu Tong Seu, located in Kampar (Kanggor). However, there were coolies employed on the date of the record i.e on 19.11.1904. The said mine was operating up until 27.3.1911 when the cancellation was made.

   
 

1.3

The first time town ship was mentioned, is based on file no. KLO 976/97 dated 5.11.1897 regarding an application by Imam Prang for a stage theatre and market in Mambang Diawan.

   
 

1.4

Minutes from the KLO 55/05 file from the Kinta District Officer dated 28.12.1904 states about the restructuring of lots in Kampar town and the payment imposed on the lot owners were identified.

   

2.

Based on Datuk Hashim Bin Sam Abdul Latiff's article, early settlements in Kampar relate to the historic event of the murder of the British Resident in Perak, JWW BIRCH, as Ngah Jabor who was one of the early settlers in Kampar was amongst those connected to murder, together with the others who include Maharaja Lela, Datuk Sagor, Si Putum and others. However, Ngah Jabor escaped sentence when Raja Idris (Dris), who later became Sultan of Perak in 1887 presided over the case involving those accused of Birch's murder in 1876.

Raja Idris and Ngah Johor have family ties and share milk mothers since as an infant, Raja Idris was taken care of by Ngah Jabor’s mother, which is common amongst royal families to send their children to other families, particularly amongst the aristocrats, to feed.
There is a possibility that between the years 1876 to 1886, Ngah Jabor went into hiding to equip him with spiritual skills and reappeared in public with a new identity as Mohamad Jabor. It is possible that during his hiding, he had opened a new settlement in Kampar to elude the British.

When Daerah Kampar was officially opened to mining concessions in 1894, Mohamad Jabor was amongst the pioneer to own a 22 acre mine with numbered mining lease ML 882 dated 18.11.1894, employing 167 people. In same year he also acquired a 55 acre and a 10 acre mine, giving him a total mine size of 90 acres. On this land, Mohamad Jabor carried out mining activity up to 19100.

   

3.

Based research by En Chye Kooi Loong in 1886 a capable and dynamic Malay leader known as Imam Prang Jabor was responsible to open Malay villages downstream of Sungai Kranji near the old Kampar market. The early village settlement was known as Mambang Diawan, named after Gunung Mambang Diawan, which stands at 1,455 feet, and means 'Fairies Among the Cloud'

The discovery of tin reserve in Lembah Kinta district including Kampar by a French mining engineer made Kampar a profitable settlement to explore. Imam Prang Jabor encouraged his followers to mine by digging small holes along the foot of the hill and pan along the river banks, and he shared this with the British administration via J.B.M Leech who was the Kinta District Officer and Magistrate. Leech was impressed and invited Maxwell, a M.C.S cadet and Bramforth, a surveyor to visit the locations of mining activities.
 

Soon after, JBM LEECH selected an area on the right side of the Sungai Kranji river bank as the site for shop lots. From then on mining efforts increased with the arrival of miners from China and Europe. JBM Leech then decided that the name Mambang Diawan was too long for a town that was developing, hence he adopted the name of the nearby river i.e. Sungai Kampar and changed the name to Kampar. The Chinese miners called it Kam Poh which means as valuable as gold.